Завдання для конкурсного випробування учнів, які вступають до 10 класу
I. Grammar in use
Find and correct the mistakes in the sentences:
1 I get very embarrassing when Dad starts singing.
2 She reminded to her son not forget to feed the cat.
3 Professional athletes always warm down before a race.
Complete the second sentence so it means the same as the first, using the word given. Do not change the word given. Use between two and five words.
4. We saw the film and then we had a meal at a good restaurant.
AFTER _______the film, we had a meal at a good restaurant.
5. We always went on holiday to the beach when I was very young.
USED We _______________ holiday to the beach when I was very young.
6. I’ve arranged for the taxi to pick us up at 6.30 tomorrow morning.
IS The _______________ up at 6.30 tomorrow morning.
7. I met Danielle when we started school together in 1996.
KNOWN I _______________ we started school together in 1996.
8 I was playing tennis earlier and I’m really tired now.
HAVE I’m really tired because _____________
Choose the correct alternatives to complete the sentences.
9 It’s a great play, but the ______were unprofessional.
A audience B band C cast
10 The food in the restaurant was ___________.
A amazed B disgusted C disgusting
11 The marathon was really hard but he didn’t give ____
A off B on C up
12 Mum can’t find anything in Gary’s room because it’s so ___.
A untidy B filthy C enormous
6 /_____ points
II. І. Reading
Read the text and choose the best answer (A–D) to complete the sentences (1–4)
CALIFORNIA STRAWBERRY FESTIVAL
Have you ever tried a strawberry pizza? If you went to Oxnard, the “StrawberryCapital of California,” in May, you could! Oxnard is in Southern California and this part of the state takes its strawberries very seriously. At the two-day California Strawberry Festival you can see and try strawberries prepared in all sorts of ways. In addition to traditional treats such as strawberry shortcake, strawberry jam, strawberry tarts and strawberries dipped in chocolate, there is strawberry pizza! This dessert pizza is topped
with strawberries, sour cream, cream cheese and whipped cream on sweet bread baked like a pizza. Strawberry kеbabs dipped in powdered sugar are another delicacy. And drinks such as a strawberry smoothie can wash it all down.
Strawberries are big business in Oxnard. The annual strawberry revenues are $100 million from Oxnard’s bountiful 6,600 berry acres. Twenty-four companies harvest and cool nearly 16 million trays of berries, which are shipped throughout North America as well as to Germany and Japan. The festival, which attracts more than 85,000 visitors, features three stages with musical entertainment, 335 arts and crafts exhibits, strolling musicians, clowns, artists, face-painting, contests, and a “Strawberryland” for children with puppets, magicians, musicians, and a pet zoo.
1. Which food is not mentioned in the article?
A Strawberry shortcake C Strawberry candy
B Strawberry jam D Strawberry pizza
2. What are the annual revenues from strawberries?
A $100 million B $85,000 million C $335 million D $16 million
3. Who is the target audience of “Strawberryland”?
A adolescents B children C young adults D the elderly
4. What attractions are available for the visitors?
A arts and crafts exhibits B strolling musicians, clowns, artists
C face-painting, contests D all of the above
2 /_____ points
III. Read the text about Wole Soyinka and choose the correct alternatives to complete each gap.
Wole Soyinka, who was born in 1934, is a Nigerian writer, poet and playwright. Many 1) __________ him as Africa’s most 2) __________ playwright. He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1986, the first African writer to win this honour. Soyinka has played an active role in Nigeria’s 3) __________ history. In 1967, during the Civil War in Nigeria, He was arrested by the Federal Government and put in solitary confinement for attempting to broker a peace between the warring parties. While in prison he wrote 4) __________ which was published in a collection. He was released two years later after international attention was drawn to his imprisonment. His experiences in prison are recounted in a book. He is an outspoken 5) __________ of many Nigerian administrations, and of political tyrannies worldwide, including the Mugabe regime in Zimbabwe. Much of his 6) __________ has been concerned with “the oppressive boot and the irrelevance of the colour of the foot that wears it”.
1986 was his most glorious year and occurred during the reigns of several violent and repressive African regimes. The Swedish Academy 7) __________ him the Nobel Prize for Literature as a writer who in a wide 8) __________ perspective and with poetic overtones fashions the drama of existence.
|1||A consider||B regard||C think||D believe|
|2||A distinguish||B distinguishable||C distinguished||D distinguishing|
|3||A politic||B politician||C politically||D political|
|4||A poet||B poem||C poems||D poetry|
|5||A criticize||B criticism||C critic||D criticizing|
|6||A writings||B writer||C wright||D writing|
|7||A granted||B awards||C awarded||D grants|
|8||A culture||B cultural||C cultured||D cultures|
4 /_____ points
TOTAL 12 /______ points
Питання для визначення мовленнєвого рівня учнів, які вступають до 10 класу
1. What can you say about British national identity? ( “typically” English).
2. How similar are the British customs to the ones in Ukraine?
3. In your opinion, how much should governments contribute to university education?
4. Tell about your personality, about your schooling, your family and life changing moments.
5. What can government do about poverty in Ukraine?
6. Who do you admire in your life and why?
7. Do computer (video) games have a good or bad influence, particularly when we consider how popular they are with children?
8. If you had to choose between a satisfying and a well-paid job, which would you choose?
9. What do you think is the best/worst job and why?
10. What qualities should a good boss (your friend, a teacher…) have?
11. Who would you hire: an employee with a lot of experience or a lot of education?
12. What’s happening to forests in the world? What can we do to protect forests?
13. What are some things that can be recycled? Do you think people should recycle newspapers? Why?
14. Do you usually drink bottled water? Why or why not?
15. What could you personally do to protect the local environment? What are some ways that can reduce pollution?
16. Does your family have a car? How often do you use it and for what purpose?
17. How have the appliances changed since you were a child?
18. Who is your favourite author or poet? When did you begin reading works by this author or poet?
19. How much television should children be allowed to watch each day? What types of programmes are good for children?
20. An important person is visiting your city and has only three hours to spend there. What places would you show, what would you tell this person about your city?
21. You have an opportunity to go to any English-speaking country for one month. Where would you go? Why did you choose to go there?
22. Which person has had the greatest influence on your life? What did this person teach you?
23. Try to remember the most important inventions of the twentieth century. Which one is the most important in your opinion?
24. Today we have all the technology we need. There is nothing left to invent. Say if you agree or not. Give reasons for your opinion.
6 questions / 2 points each
Total 12 points /________