Завдання для конкурсного випробування учнів, які вступають до 9 класу
I. Grammar in use
Complete the sentences with the correct word:
- This computer is much faster _______ that one.
- When you are 15, you aren’t old _______ to drive a car.
- My father _______ to wear a uniform – he’s a police officer.
- You’re always tired in the morning. You _______ go to bed earlier.
- This is the city ______ I was born.
Rewrite the sentences in reported speech.
6 “I bought a computer in this shop”, said Lily.
Lily said ________________________________________
7 “We’ve got an exam today”, Jessica said to her mum.
Jessica told ______________________________________
8 “Where is your jacket?” Sam’s mum asked him.
Sam’s mum asked _________________________________
9 “Has Thomas seen this film?” they asked Jim.
They asked ______________________________________
Rewrite the active sentences in the passive form and passive sentences in the active form.
10 Grandparents play computer games too.
Computer games _____________________________
11 Arthur Wynne invented crosswords in 1913.
12 A museum is being opened by the Queen tomorrow.
The Queen __________________________________
6 /_____ points
Read the text and choose the correct item (A–D) to answer the questions (1–4).
Juliette Gordon Low, Girl Scout National Center
Are you a Girl Scout or a Boy Scout? Do you know where the idea for these troops came from? The original idea came from England, but the first Girl Scout group in the United States began in Savannah, Georgia, and all because one woman had a vision.
Juliette “Daisy” Gordon Low organized the first group of Girl Scouts on March 12, 1912, because she wanted to give girls the opportunity to get out of the house and get involved in their community. She got the idea of starting a girl’s group after spending time in England with General Robert Baden-Powell and his sister Agnes, who had founded the Boy Scouts and the Girl Guides.
Low took these ideas back to the US and established the Girl Guides of America. It started out as a group of 18 girls who met regularly with a naturalist to go on nature walks, cook meals over campfires, and do other “scouting” activities. Low was so dedicated to this group that she sold a strand of rare matched pearls for $8,000 to pay for operations in the beginning. Today, Low’s birthplace in Savannah is open to the public as a museum and contains information about the early Girl Scouts.
1. What was the main purpose of the Girl Scouts?
A. to give girls the chance to get involved in their community and the outdoors
B. to give girls opportunities to do performances in the theatre
C. to give girls a chance to improve their language ability
D. to help girls with business and education
2. Where did Robert Baden-Powell live?
3. What activities does a Girl Scout participate in?
A. nature walks
B. cooking meals over campfires
C. other scouting activities
D. all of the above
4. How did the founder get money for the Girl Scouts in the beginning?
A. went to England
B. sold a strand of pearls
C. made her birthplace a museum
D. married Robert Baden-Powell
2 /_____ points
Complete the email with one word in each gap.
How are you doing? I imagine you’re revising for your final exams at the moment. Good luck with them! I can’t believe that you (1) ___ been at university for three years, and this time next year you’ll be (2) ___ as a teacher!
I’m still (3) ___ to plan my future! I just don’t know what to do. Should I apply for university this year or take a year off to travel? My parents and my teachers say that I (4) ___ to go straight to university to study languages. I’ve been getting good grades in French and Spanish and I think I want to be a teacher, like you. However, I (5) ___ really like to spend some time travelling and maybe doing some work in another country. What would you do if you (6) ___ me?
Anyway, I don’t have to decide until June. Perhaps we can have a chat sometime. I know you (7) ___ give me good advice.
Once again, good luck with the exams. I know you’re (8) ___ to be a fantastic teacher!
4 /____ points
TOTAL 12 /______ point
Питання для визначення мовленнєвого рівня учнів, які вступають до 9 класу
1. Would you like to have a pen-friend? If so, what qualities in your pen-friend would you value most?
2. What negative things characterize a person in your opinion?
3. If your friend had problems at school or at home, would you try to help him and in what way would you do it?
4. What`s your idea of healthy way of life?
5. What can happen if you work too hard don`t get enough rest?
6. What do you think about sports? Is it possible to be healthy without sports?
7. How often do you read fiction?
8. Which types of fiction do you enjoy reading the most?
9. What are you reading at the moment?
10. How much TV do you watch on weekdays and at the weekend?
11. How do you like to find out the news?
12. Do you think newspapers are much more informative than the Net?
13. What kind of music makes you feel more relaxed and less nervous?
14. What does learning to play a musical instrument require?
15. How can music bring people together?
16. What are the names of two large islands the UK is situated on?
17. Do you think that the climate is the main subject for conversation for English people?
18. In what way “English” is different for Scottish, Irish and Welsh people?
19. What can you say about the geographical position of Ukraine and its borders?
20. What is Ukrainian hospitality?
21. Where can you find wonderful conditions for rest in Ukraine?
22. Is the problem of good education important nowadays and why?
23. What do you think of the system of education in Ukraine?
24. What kind of out-of-class activities are parts of the school life of Ukrainian children?
6 questions / 2 points each
Total 12 points /________